This week was all about the good and bad side of Business, Media, Political, Healthcare/Medical, Internet/Facebook, Educational institutions and Sports ethics. The class was quite interesting because it started with an interesting game. We were divided into groups by given names of animals. Each of us had to find our respective group by making the sound of the animal we are. It was fun but a bit embarrassing too. Then each group was given a topic from above and we had to give points on the good and bad side of it. My group was given the topic on Media ethics and therefore I chose this topic to analyze deep in more as the entry for my reflection diary today.
Let me start by giving the definition on media ethics. It is the subdivision of applied ethics dealing with the specific ethical principles and standards of media, including broadcast media, film, theatre, the arts, print media and the internet. -Wikipedia-
Speaking about the media in general, our life will remain incomplete without the media. The radio, television, newspaper and internet are some forms through which we get information. Just like other fields, a vast development is seen in media fields. People believe the news given by the media. So, the media should be very careful before giving any news to the public. They have to cover important happenings, in all the fields, around the world. There is no use in creating emotional feelings among public by exaggerating the happenings and giving sensational news. The media persons should be cautious in giving unbiased news to the common persons. The media cover news of public interest such as political happenings, sports, city news, national news, international news, business, education, entertainment, literature and medical news. The news should satisfy all men, women and children of various age-group and status. To increase circulation of newspapers, the media people should not publish false news.
First let us see the good side of the media;
• The common man gets the latest news within a fraction of seconds. The distance is not at all a barrier now. The news they get through media help them in their daily life a lot.
• The media helps common people to exchange information and it acts as a common platform. The public get knowledge and awake to raise questions, on seeing the news in newspaper and TV.
• The media helps to bring out the hidden talents of the people. The children learn many good things through media.
• By reading newspaper, the children learn many things, their reading habit increases and their vocabulary enhances by learning new words. Their knowledge increases by watching geographical channel, quiz programs and speeches by famous personalities of different fields.
• The cartoon channels make the children happy.
• The games increase their logical thinking power and grasping of things. The attitude, approach and behavior of the common people will also change, when exposed to media.
• The media conducts polls and let public to take part in social issues. Through blogging in the internet and writing letters to the editor in newspapers, many people give voice about their opinion in different political and social matters.
Now let us see the bad side of media;
• Some false news given in the newspaper may raise blood pressure and create negative feelings in the mind.
• Over exposure to media may cause health problems also. The advertisements shown in TV and newspaper have got both positive and negative impact. The children learn violence by seeing movies and TV programs. They imitate super heroes they see in the screen which may cause danger to their life. The over exposure to media make them behave more aggressively, which spoils their future also.
• The children get immense pleasure in playing video games and they spend hours together before computer, surfing through internet. They see both the good and the bad things through media. The parents should make the children to play outdoor games and do physical exercise, diverting their attention from the media.
• The fashion shows, dance and music programs attract youngsters very much. They like to spend money for makeup, clothing and jewels on the influence of models and actors. The youngsters wish to take part in these programs, which are unsuitable for many persons.
• The middle-aged persons are stuck up with TV serials and show much interest in raising social status, by wasting money.
In conclusion, the media has brought the people all over the world very closer. We have to take the positive aspects and use it for good purpose. The media and public should help to drive away the negative effects of the media.